It has been almost one year since the passing of King Bhumibol on 13th October 2016. As he was arguably Thailand’s most beloved King in recent history the outcry and sadness was felt everywhere. By now millions of people might have visited is final resting place at the Grand Palace in Bangkok to pay their final respects. As we’re closing in on the one year mark of this sad event the day of the cremation of King Bhumibol is coming closer. There are a few questions out there in regards to what will be happening during this time. Here are some answers to those questions.
Facts in regards to King Bhumibol’s passing
- The official passing day of King Bhumibol is a a new public holiday: October 13.
- The Grand Palace will be open for the people until September 30.
- The funeral process will take place between October 25 – 29 2017.
- Cremation will be on Thursday, 26th October 2017. This is now also a public holiday.
- The Grand Palace will be closed from October 1 – 29 2017. It will open again on October 30.
- Procession rehearsal at Sanam Luang will be on October 7th, 15th, 21st. Be prepared when entering the area.
- The Royal Crematorium will open to the public from November 1 – 30, 7am – 10pm.
- The BTS skytrain will be free on October 26. On 25 & 27 the extensions from On Nut – Samrong and Wongwian Yai – Bang Wa will be free.
- The BRT service will be free from October 25 – 27.
- Lots of roads around the Sanam Luang area will be closed during the rehearsals on October 7, 14, 21 as well as during the funeral ceremony itself until October 29.
- Tesco Lotus Supermarkets to Close at 2pm on Cremation Day
- CP owned shops (True, Fresh Mart, 7-11) will close between 2 and 3 pm until midnight on the 26th.
- Emporium, EM Quartier and Big C remain open
- Most “Central” malls will close in the afternoon with exception of Central World and Central Rama 2. Lots of shops within the malls will be closed though.
If you got any specific questions in this regard, feel free to shout out and we will try to respond as fast and accurate as possible.
Latest posts by Sascha Funk (see all)
- ONE Championship: Warriors of the World – Results & Review - December 10, 2017
- What are the 3 best music streaming apps in Thailand? - December 4, 2017
- Airport review – Changi International Airport Singapore - December 1, 2017