5…4…3..2….1….HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Most of us can’t wait for the year to be over and to start fresh and joyful into a new one. The question at hand though is: Where is the best place in Bangkok to count down and start an exciting, and hopefully better, new year?
Bangkok obviously has lots of cool spots to offer and you basically can’t go wrong but Team My-Thai.org had some heated discussions and now came up with our top places to celebrate the New Year in Bangkok.
Rooftops are one of the best ways to spend time in Bangkok anyways. High above the crazy traffic and all the smog, rooftop bars and restaurants offer a great spot to get away from it all and enjoy the craziness from a different angle. New Year on a rooftop is, of course, pretty amazing with seeing all the fireworks going off left and right of you. Since space is limited though, you might want to check in advance whether or not there’s still some space left.
Bangkok has lots of rooftop bars and restaurants to choose from, here just a few of our favorites:
- Vertigo & Moon Bar @ Banyan Tree Hotel – my personal favorite. Even though, or maybe just because, it’s not the one from the ‘Hangover’ movies. Rather chilled and relaxed but with a nice view and nice staff. My personal go-to rooftop bar.
- Skybar Lebua at the State Tower – Here we go with the ‘famous’ one. Seen in the Hangover movie and famous ever since. It’s probably going to be hyped, but also a nice place to be.
- Above Eleven – I like above elven because it’s a tad bit different to the other, normal, rooftop bars. It just feels a bit more chilled than the others.
- Red Sky – Centara Grand at Central World – Usually I wouldn’t recommend that. It’s not that it’s a bad bar, it’s not. It’s pretty nice and decent, just nothing to special compared to all the other bars. However during New Year it should be rather spectacular since Central World usually is the place with the biggest New Year’s show (more on that below) and, quite likely, the place with the biggest firework spectacle in Thailand. Hanging out on a rooftop close to where the action is going to take place could be pretty cool – or frightening.
- The Rooftop Bar – Baiyoke Sky Hotel – when in Bangkok, why not go all the way up to the highest bar we have to offer? On the 83rd floor of what formerly was the tallest building in Bangkok sits the bar that will certainly guarantee you some nice and unique views when counting down.
Honorable mention: Not a bar and only something that adventurers might think of – one could imagine to also see some spectacular sights from the ghost tower. We’re not encouraging anyone to go though. Don’t break the law, don’t do anything stupid. Don’t drink & drive as well.
If you’re not into heights and spending time high above BKK in a restricted space, maybe you’re more comfortable cruising on the Chao Phraya river, having some good food and smoothly cruising into the new year. There are lots of dinner cruise providers that most likely all have some New Year’s specials to offer. A few rather well known ones are:
- Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bangkok Grand Pearl Cruise
- Wannfah Dinner Cruise
- Manohra Dinner Cruise
- White Orchid Dinner Cruise
As soon as you google ‘Bangkok Dinner Cruise’ you will find lots of offers though so in case one of them is already booked out, just go for the next one. Most of them offer good service and I haven’t heard of too many complaints in regards to the providers as of yet.
Central World (cancelled in 2016 due to respect of the King’s passing)
Central World is the biggest (most well known) shopping mall in the heart of Bangkok and always hosts the biggest New Year’s party in the city. Music stages with top music acts from the country (I’ve seen Da Endorphine a few times there) will help you to count down and have a good time while dancing on the streets of Bangkok. There are also VIP areas available which will give you some extra space and beer.
Tips for partying at Central World:
- Come early
- Bring water
- Don’t be afraid of crowds
- Don’t expect to easily find your friends there
- Don’t expect to get a taxi right after
- Stay cool / calm
Another shopping area but a pretty nice one. Rather fancy on the riverside. Always crowded (but everything is crowded during New Year’s) but also always worth a visit. A shuttle boat will take you there (leaving at ‘Saphan Taksin’ pier) so make sure to arrive early so you won’t be stuck in the queue. Asiatique is always a nice alternative.
Where will you count down to the New Year?
Latest posts by Sascha Funk (see all)
- Vaping in Thailand - January 12, 2018
- Chef’s Secret – Healthy Food Delivery Review - January 8, 2018
- Thailand. Unplugged. – Saree Jitta – Personal Trainer with a story - January 6, 2018